Ninja Legend: Shattered Dreams
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

21 years have passed since the Third Great War. The Akatsuki have fallen, a wave of peace has washed over the villages, but all good things must come to an end. A stranger enters the Kage's Temple with strange messages: Peace is temporary. War is forever.

HomePortalCalendarLatest imagesPublicationsFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
The first Kage Meeting will began once all Kages are present
Lesson: Grammar NINJALEGEND

The Daily Buzz has been posted. Check it out!
Navigation
Latest topics
» Manson Academy -An Asylum for the Supernatural and Gifted-Lesson: Grammar EmptyMon Nov 12, 2018 11:34 pm by Kinaga Unabara

» still waitingLesson: Grammar EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm by Rokugen

» HAPPY HOLIDAYSLesson: Grammar EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 5:55 pm by Sasuke

» Mirage Hearts Lesson: Grammar EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 3:58 pm by Lenneth

» VigilLesson: Grammar EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 3:43 pm by Koriyama Namikaze

» The Wind valley hot springs.Lesson: Grammar EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 8:39 pm by Rokugen

» food for thought.Lesson: Grammar EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 10:37 pm by Koriyama Namikaze

» dont let the site die again!!!Lesson: Grammar EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 4:57 pm by Koriyama Namikaze

» Just an Ordinary DayLesson: Grammar EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 1:39 am by Saitou Kunabara

» Quick ReminderLesson: Grammar EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 6:45 pm by Jutsumaster

» Day One (V-sama)Lesson: Grammar EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 4:45 pm by V

» Squad 27: Session 1 (Psyche & Kobi)Lesson: Grammar EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 12:17 am by Kobi Jinsatsu

» A New name for a new age. Lesson: Grammar EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 9:32 am by Goshen Shizaku

» A Few ChangesLesson: Grammar EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 am by Goshen Shizaku

» Clans of Stealth WIPLesson: Grammar EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 pm by Kurome

General Information
The Year: 2034

The Month
August

The Season
Fall

Information
Villages and Organizations
Storm Valley
Kage: Rokugen
Assistant: (Open)
ANBU Captain: (Open)
Member Count: 0

Magma Valley
Kage: Kira
Assistant: Saitou
Member Count: 2

Stealth Valley
Kage: Kurome
Assistant: Aphrodisia
ANBU Captain:
(Open)

Death Valley
Kage: Kymir
Member Count: 1

Crescent Valley
Kage: Goshen Shizaku

Snow Valley
Kage: Kazuma
Assistant: Daemon Ame

Shattered Blades
Captain: Xaverie
Lieutenant: Chu Lain

Others

Last Updated: 9/14/14

Featured Affiliates
Ninja Legend

Lesson: Grammar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kinaga Unabara
Admin
Admin
Kinaga Unabara

Nickname : The Plot Master, The Storm Ninja

Character Age : 33
Male
Number of posts : 2063

Lesson: Grammar Empty
PostSubject: Lesson: Grammar   Lesson: Grammar EmptySat May 14, 2011 3:25 am

Yes, this lesson is in fact my own. The numbered lessons are not my work. That being said, moving on!!

Grammar, what a wonderful invention, yes? Not if used incorrectly, I'm afraid.

Grammar includes such things as capitalizing correct words when needed, spelling, punctuation, nouns, verbs, adjectives, and how a sentence is formed. Granted, there are many more elements to it than these things alone, but these are the basics.

Sentence Structure
Starting off, sentence structure. A basic sentence needs a noun and a verb. Simple enough, right? For those in our world, the world of RPing, and using only words to get a point across, this is not enough. Adjectives are needed, pronouns are needed. Yes, yes, I know, this is all basic stuff. We've all learned this at one point or another. But, sometimes we forget, which is why this thread is here to remind you. (Allowing you to be informed ahead of time, these lessons are not to make you feel incompetent.)

Moving on, I'm gonna give you a bad example of sentence structure, put next to a good example.

Quote :
Bad Example: He in his house by himself lived.
Good Example: He lived in his house by himself.

Seems easy enough, right? Right.

Punctuation
Next up, punctuation. Dear god, this is where I encounter the most issues. Commas and periods are your friends people!! I'll be giving good and bad examples throughout this lesson, so watch carefully. Any questions can be posted right here.

Anyways, periods (.) are used to end sentences, as opposed to commas (,) which are used to make lists, or separate thoughts. Semicolons (;) on the other hand, are used to join separate thoughts, that could otherwise be sentences on their own.

Quote :
Bad Examples: For dinner I had pasta wine bread and cheese Then my friend and I went to the park it was a fun day
Good Example: For dinner I had pasta, wine, bread, and cheese. Then my friend and I went to the park; it was a fun day.

Commas can also be used for things parenthetical references, or things that might've looked good in parenthesis instead.

Quote :
Example 1: Times like these made her think of her past (and a tragic past it was) which was why she didn't look at him directly.

Example 2: Times like these made her think of her past, and a tragic past it was, which was why she didn't look at him directly.

Spelling and Capitalization
I'd think this one is quite obvious. Capitalizing letters that need it, and correct spelling really helps out with the comprehension of a sentence/passage. In the quick reply boxes below the last reply for a thread for that page, there are spell checks. Please make use of them. And if they do not show up on your computer, read over your post. It helps when you look at it before you post. If anything, most Microsoft Word programs have spell checks, copy and paste the post into the program, and spell check it, fixing anything that is wrong.

Quote :
Bad Example: he lookd at hm and cudnt help bt fel uslss. what was ths guys del? "i dunt no who u ar bt im going to bet u!"
(Could you read that? Really? Because even though I typed it I had issues reading it. Things like this make the RPing experience less fun, trust me.)

Good Example: He looked at him and couldn't help but feel useless. What was this guys' deal? "I don't know who you are, but I'm going to beat you!"
(Better! this is much easier to read, don't you think?)

V.A.N.s
Verbs, adjectives, and nouns, these are the three basic components to a good sentence. Oh yes, and pronouns. But if I put a P in the title, it wouldn't make a cool acronym, now would it? Anyways....

Quote :
Verbs: A verb is an action word. It can be used in past, present, or future tense. (He ran, he runs/is running, he will run)

Adjectives: Adjectives are words describing nouns, or actions. (Sarah was pretty, the boy ran fast)

Nouns: A noun is a person, place or thing. (Ex. The chicken, Thomas, the store, etc.)

Pronouns: Pronouns take the place of a noun. (It, he, she, they. In place of: the store, Kenny, Kelly, Kenny and Kelly, etc.)

Be warned, of course, of the overuse of adjectives to try to make your post descriptive. Be creative with your descriptions. You don't want it to be bland and boring to read. Don't list off adjectives to describe something, use multiple sentences to make a vision.

Quote :
Bad Example: The pool was a large rectangle, with blue water, a ladder, a diving board, and several colorful pool toys inside.

Good Example: The once calm blue surface of the pool was being disturbed by many children playing with colorful pool toys, splashing around in the rectangular swimming area. A couple of the kids even became brave, and tried to jump off the diving board into the deep end. Those who had gotten tired of the pool went over and climbed out via the ladder, or simply splashed their way over the edge.

Which one was more interesting to read? The first one, or the second one? The answer is quite obvious, I think.

Yes, yes, I know this is a lot to cover, but this should all be basic. I hope this helped all you who needed/wanted it. I will come out with more lessons as I think of them.

For now, this is Kinaga Unabara, signing off!!
Back to top Go down

Lesson: Grammar

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1